Saturday, December 26, 2009

Does green tea come in an essential oil? Am looking for a way to use as sunscreen...?

I know that green tea protects from the sun, which is why I was wondering if it came in an essential oil I could use on my face with shea butter, as I do not feel like boiling green tea every morning and applying it to my face with a washcloth.





Please tell me where I could find some, 100 percent non diluted and preferably organic.





Thanks.Does green tea come in an essential oil? Am looking for a way to use as sunscreen...?
There is no such thing as green tea essential oil. The volatile oils of green tea can't be extracted by steam. If you see a product that claims to be ';green tea essential oil';, it's a scam, because the product can not be made.





You can find a green tea absolute, but being an absolute, it means that it was extracted using a solvent, most likely hexane. The finished product is ';washed'; and will only contain trace amounts of the solvent, but it definitely won't be organic. Absolutes are commonly used in perfume, but are not the same as essential oils and are rarely used in aromatherapy.





Green tea absolute is thick and sticky (like most absolutes), and it's very hard to work with. It has a strong smell, and even in perfumery is only used in tiny amounts. Plus, essential oils and absolutes do not have the same properties of whole plants. They aren't concentrated versions of plants. I've never looked up the healing properties of green tea absolute since I only use it for perfume, but I have a hunch that it's not going to offer any protection from the sun, especially in the tiny amounts that you'd be using.





If I were you, I'd research making an infused oil (a little messy, but very simple to do) with dried green tea leaves. I'm not sure if the constituents of tea are even oil soluble, but you could do some checking. Or, you could go in another direction completely and find another herb that helps protect against the sun.Does green tea come in an essential oil? Am looking for a way to use as sunscreen...?
I googled green tea essential oil and found this for you:


http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=…


Hope this helps you some.
Go to the organics section in your local grocery market, or ask a pharmacist at any drug store in your area. If you have any bulk food stores or health food stores in your area, try there as well.
Yes there is such as thing as green tea oil. I would recommend going to a local vitamin shoppe that is targeted toward organic products, or buying something online if that is not feasible.

No comments:

Post a Comment